Working in healthcare brings both challenges and joys that no other profession can fully understand. What better way to share a glimpse into our industry than through GIFs? Sit back, grab some coffee, and enjoy a day in the life of a healthcare practice, as shown through GIFs.
1. Wake Up. The dreaded moment all of us share—when the alarm clock goes off, waking us from our sweet slumber. Perhaps we have a message saying that one of the front desk staff can't make it in today. Or a notice that the schedule needs to be rearranged due to an emergency. Whatever it is, for those of us in the healthcare industry, we know to be ready for battle the minute we awake.
2. Arriving to patients waiting. While no-shows and cancellations are the bane of every practice, the opposite can also be challenging...patients show show up before you've even opened for the day. This can throw off your whole schedule as you try to balance wait times, checking in and starting the day with patients waiting for you.
3. Calls, calls, and more calls. One of the first jobs of the day is to return messages from everyone who called you during the night. In addition, the phone starts ringing pretty much the second you sit down. Sometimes it feels like the phone is an actual extension of your face! (If you'd like to learn about how to cut down on phone time, check out SR Conversations...two-way texting for the win!)
4. (Cheerful) interactions with patients. One of the most critical aspects of every healthcare job is the time spent with patients. Patient satisfaction can make or break a practice. No matter what else is going on with you, it's super important that patients always feel that you care for them and would do anything to help them out. So, get that smile warmed up (even if your pet spider just died)!
5. Scheduling appointments and sending reminders. Experts say that it takes about 8 minutes PER patient to schedule an upcoming appointment. Calling to remind patients of appointments takes up to two hours a day. You can expect to use a bunch of your day on scheduling appointments and reminding patients of their appointments. It can become overwhelming to keep up! (For tips for making scheduling more efficient, check out this blog post).
6. Grab a quick lunch. Hey, even superhuman healthcare workers gotta eat, right?
7. Find ways to keep patients coming back while attracting new ones. Marketing isn't always what we imagined when getting into the healthcare industry...but it's a big part of it. From patient education to social media to online reviews, every practice needs to spend at least a few minutes each day making sure your practice is staying financially healthy.
9. Wait around for a patient who never showed. It's a super annoying, but daily, occurrence in every healthcare specialty. In fact, up to 20 percent of patients don't show up (depending on your specialty). So yeah, you are likely to spend time each day waiting for someone who will probably not show up. Learn how to reduce no-shows in the blog post "10 Truly Awesome Ways to Reduce No-Shows."
10. Paperwork. Insurance. Billing. Ordering supplies. Patient charts. It is easy to get buried in all the paperwork that comes with keeping a practice running smoothly.
11. You remember why it is all worth it. At the end of the day, you work in an AMAZING industry. You are making a real difference in the lives of hundreds or thousands of people. You are helping them make better choices, improve their health, and make their lives happier. Sometimes in the daily grind, that can be easy to forget. Then you get that one patient that just makes your whole day brighter. <3
Anything we've missed? Put your own GIF in the comments!
You can also read up about how to create a patient-friendly practice in our free checklist.