In last week’s recap of our three-part webinar series, Completing Your Practice Comeback, we asked participants to grade their COVID performance. Why does that matter? Because nearly two-thirds of patients in the U.S. are considering switching healthcare practices if they aren’t satisfied with the way their current providers – dentists, optometrists, physicians – managed COVID-19 concerns.
That’s huge. You definitely don’t want to lose most of your patients for this reason! While the results of our webinar participants were pretty good, some of them admitted that they didn’t really communicate with their patients as clearly, or as often as they could have, about the new COVID safety protocols they have been implementing. (See this blog for ways to start conversations with your patients right now.)
This week’s recap from Part 2: Adapting to New Patient Expectations
Here’s a summary of what we learned from our research and practices just like yours:
- 78 percent of you have personally used technology in a way you didn’t (or never before had) prior to the pandemic, including:
- Purchasing goods on Amazon
- Ordering food through mobile and online apps like DoorDash
- Working from your home digital office
- Signing up for more digital entertainment services, like Netflix
- Communicating/socializing with friends and family via Zoom
- Texting and posting on social media
- Attending Zoom webinars for continuing education credits
- 70 percent of practices have adopted new technology since the start of pandemic that they now use daily
- Patient expectations have changed; the healthcare industry was greatly affected by technology
- 60 percent of patients say they will switch practices if they have a “poor digital experience” at their current practice
- 73 percent of millennials say their digital experience with a healthcare provider is even more important than their in-person experience
- All ages of patients want the convenience of texting their providers and booking appointments online
Here’s what you need to know to keep your practice booming with patients and increase revenue.
The majority of patients (60 percent) now EXPECT a variety of digital options and the convenience of technology from their optometrists, dentists, and family doctors, including:
- Two-way texting
- Digital health history and patient forms
- Digital ways to pay their bill
- Online scheduling
Furthermore, two out of three patients prefer texting over all other forms of communication with their providers! So, if you don’t yet offer this convenience – because it’s no longer a luxury, but rather a necessity – you’re at risk of losing patients to practices who do.
Ask yourself this: Are you “too busy” answering the phone and calling patients to come back in for preventive care and follow-up treatments to implement two-way texting at your practice? If your team spends a whole lot of time during the day calling patients and scheduling appointments, then you’re too busy NOT to adapt to an easier way.
It’s time to let technology ease the burden for you and your team, so you can work smarter, not harder. It only takes 4 seconds to send text to a patient’s phone from your computer!
Ready to set your practice apart from the competition? Learn even more about setting your practice up for success in the digital world with digital bill pay, two-way texting, digital check-in/intake forms, and even telehealth. It’s all in the webinar.