The Payment Reminders feature included with your Solutionreach service makes it incredibly easy to automate the process of notifying your patients that they have a balance due or that they’re overdue to make a payment to your practice.
You can take a huge amount of work off your practice staff’s shoulders by taking a few minutes to set up a notification schedule for your patients. The time you save will allow you to focus more attention on the patients who are currently in your practice, offering a better customer experience, overall.
To start setting-up these reminders, you’ll need to complete the following:
• Plan a schedule for notifying your patients of their balance owed.
• Create any needed templates for conveying that message.
• Apply both of these by creating a series of payment reminders.
In the following article, we offer a full breakdown of exactly what you need to do in order to set up your payment reminders and begin improving collection rates from your patients.
Remember: The process is easy, but if you find yourself stuck, we’re here.
Plan a schedule for notifying your patients of their balance owed.
This step is probably the most important and sometimes the most intensive, since the timeframe in which you choose to notify your patients of their balances can vary depending on the needs of your practice.
By default, Solutionreach is going to send a generic message that doesn’t specify the balance. As shown in the screenshot above, the system messages simply state that the patient has a balance due and encourage them to access the Patient Portal or download the PatientReach Mobile app to view the balance and make a payment.
All you need to determine for your payment reminders is:
How much time must have passed since the last charge was applied to the patient’s ledger?
2. Minimum Balance:
What does the patient’s minimum outstanding balance need to be?
3. Reminder Template:
What template should be sent to the patient when they meet these requirements?
Take the time to carefully consider these criteria for the messages you’ll be scheduling–up to four messages total. Once that’s done, you’re ready to move on and create and customize the individual templates, so click on the Manage Templates tab at the top.
Create any needed templates for conveying that message.
If you don’t want to create customized templates for the reminders that will be sent to your patients, you can elect to use the two generic messages provided by Solutionreach:*Balance Due Friendly Reminder and *Balance Past Due Payment Requested. These two templates may very well meet your needs, but–as with all Solutionreach features–the best way to find success is to take the time to customize the messages you send to your patients.
Here is how to create, customize, and add a new template:
1. Click the blue Add button on the right-hand side of the page.
Here, you can:
• Give your template a name, used later for choosing which template to use.
• Change the subject of the email.
• And, of course, add what you’d like to say into the body of the email.
2. Once you’re happy with your message, click the blue Save button at the bottom of the edit pop-over.
Apply both of these by creating a series of payment reminders.
You now have everything you need to set up a new reminder:
• You know when you want to send the messages.
• You know the monetary threshold for who will be included.
• And you’ve created and customized your templates.
To begin adding and enabling those payment reminders, complete the following steps:
1. Return to the Settings tab and click the blue Edit button.
2. From here, enter the number of days, select the minimum owed balance, and then choose which template to use for that reminder.
3. When these criteria have been entered, click the blue Add button to schedule the message to go out.
4. Once a payment reminder has been added to the schedule, the bottom section titled Preview of New Payment Reminders will start to fill with patients who will be messaged as soon as the feature is made active. Take some time to look over this list and ensure that the feature is adding patients as you expect it should.
5. After you’ve added all the payment reminders you want to schedule, all you need to do is toggle the switch at the top from Disabled to Enabled and click the blue Save button.
Your messages will now start going out to your patients as their balances enter the criteria you’ve set. It’s that easy!
Roman Cortez, Client Success Trainer