Would it surprise you to know that 91% of US consumers use email every day? So straight to the point…have you been taking advantage of this wide open opportunity to connect and communicate with your patients?
Although your social media presence is still effective in connecting with your patients and keeping your practice top-of-mind, research shows that email marketing generates a 17% higher purchase average than social media marketing. Further, it is almost 40 times more effective in improving patient acquisition than Facebook and Twitter. (According to McKinsey’s research)
If your practice isn’t currently sending a monthly or bi-monthly patient newsletter, you might want to start incorporating this into your patient communication and marketing strategies. If you still aren’t convinced, and are thinking you’ll stick with the postcards you’ve been using for the past 20 years, consider this statistic: A recent study of 300 various demographic target markets across the United States concluded that e-newsletters generated a 70% higher response rate than postcards.
So why is it that patient newsletters are such an impactful tool for improving practice profitability and creating trusting and loyal patients?
- Patients Become Educated- Keeping patients informed with targeted education is critical for improving health outcomes and also directly impacts your bottom line. As patients stay educated on the benefits of services you provide, they will be more inclined to invest in the care and procedures you recommend to achieve the results they are looking for.
- Credibility of Authority is Established- It’s significant to practice success to stay up-to-date with the technology, services, procedures and news within your industry. As you keep your patients in the know, they will come to rely on you as a credible and trusted source for information they may need to achieve optimum health making them more likely talk to others about their positive patient experience.
- You Stay Top of Mind- Keeping your practice name in front of your patients every month will keep you and their health on their minds. They will be less likely to forget to schedule or show up for upcoming appointments and more likely to call you without hesitation when they have questions or concerns. There are plenty of providers out there your patients could receive their healthcare from. Successfully managing your patient relationships is key to retaining your patients, rather than losing them to your competition.
- Patient Compliance Improves- Utilizing your newsletters to maintain a consistent connection with your patients and to keep them aware of the reasons why it is important to comply with treatment recommendations, will increase the likelihood that they will. Sending educational articles focusing on various trending topics or industry related news will reinforce your credibility and build trust which is significant to improving case compliance.
- More Referrals Come In- Emailed newsletters are highly shareable and can be forwarded or posted on social media platforms for friends and family who may be interested in or may benefit from the information contained in them. As the need for a need for a new, or a change in providers is desired, your name will likely come to mind.
Coming up with creative content for your newsletters every month can be stressful and time-consuming. Some patient engagement platforms come with access to a library of pre-written newsletters containing current industry news, health trends, etc. Even better, having the ability to customize pre-written newsletters for that handful of patients that need extra attention or information is a great bonus and can go a long way in making your patients feel important.
As patients become and stay proactive with their healthcare, it becomes a win-win for everyone. Patient satisfaction increases, patients feel empowered as they become better educated, and health outcomes improve. Practice success flourishes with loyal, happy patients and new referrals. It’s a win-win.